Modernism + Film | Art House
LOCATION: BECHTLER MUSEUM OF MODERN ART
THURSDAY, JUNE 20 AT 6 P.M.Buy Tickets
In his new documentary, photographer Don Freeman explores the homes designed and lived in by notable American artists, revealing the inventiveness derived from the dialogue between each artist's practice and the construction of their handmade homes. Ranging from the romantic (Hudson River School painter Frederic Church's Olana, framing views of the Catskills to echo his paintings), to the futuristic (Paolo Soleri's silt-casted structure Cosanti growing out of his bell-making experiments in the Arizona desert), to the sublime (George Nakashima's mid-century modern ode to the beauty and versatility of wood), what they all have in common is a fierce spirit of individual expression that deserves deeper examination in this age of architectural standardization.
An event reception with a cash-only bar and free light bites begins at 6 p.m. in the Bechtler lobby followed by the presentation and film screening at 7 p.m. in the Wells Fargo Auditorium.
Tickets are $10 for the public, $8 for museum members and $5 for students (Student tickets may be purchased at the door or by phone. Must present student ID to claim). Buy tickets online, tickets may also be purchased by phone at 704.353.9200 or at the admissions desk. View the full 2018-'19 Modernism + Film lineup here.
Watch the trailer for Art House below.
- Monday10am - 5pm
- Wednesday10am - 5pm
- Thursday10am - 5pm
- Friday10am - 5pm
- Saturday10am - 5pm
- Sunday12pm - 5pm
Get directions and parking information.
Stay up to date with the latest Bechtler happenings by subscribing to our emails.
COVID-19 Policy Update
The Bechtler Museum of Modern Art has made the decision to require proof of vaccination OR a negative COVID-19 test (taken no more than three days prior to the program date) for staff, artists, vendors, and attendees. Note: Proof of vaccination or negative COVID-19 test is not required for general admission to the museum. The safety of our guests, staff, and artists are a top priority and we will re-evaluate this policy as needed while we continue to navigate the Delta variant.
Overview of Policy Update
- Proof of vaccination OR a negative COVID-19 test (taken no more than 3 days prior to program date) for staff, guests artists, vendors, and attendees.
- If guests do not have a vaccination card or negative test results at the time of check-in, they will be asked to return with proofs for future programming.
- Ticket holders will be asked in advance to provide their documentation upon check-in at these programs.
- Due to the county health mandate, masks will still be required indoors, even with vaccination or proof of negative test.
- Masks may be removed to eat or drink and should be placed back on the face when finished.
- This requirement does not apply to daily museum visitation or private rental events/clients.